COVID-19 Test Laboratory
Approvals & Registrations
- Registered Covid-19 testing facility with the Department of Health & National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS)
- PCNS registered practice number: 0935379
- SAHPRA approved tests
- ISO13485:2016 Certified
- Operating under ISO15189
- Registered Clinical Pathologist
- HPCSA-registered Clinical Pathologist (Virology)
- HPCSA-registered Medical Technologists
- Ours are performed using a nostril swab. We can also process oropharyngeal (OP), or nasopharyngeal (NP) swab samples.
- The collection of an anterior nasal swab is non-invasive and can be taken without the need of a nurse, however HPCSA registered nurses are employed if you prefer assistance.
- Anterior nasal swabs are utilised as the primary sample type in the UK, and have been shown to be as sensitive as OP or NP sample types, with reduced risk of false positive results following infection.
- Asymptomatic carriers (40% of infections) can be affordably tested.M
- Mobile test centers are being set up nationwide. In partnership with pharmacies, the population will be able to purchase collection devices.
- Sample drop off collection points will be set up in designated stores.
- We provide results on the same day (special arrangement) or the day after receipt of sample in the lab.
- Reduced time to result means more control and less risk of positive cases infecting others.
- We can test groups, families or even whole factories and companies at once.
History & Vision
Biotech Africa was founded by Mr Paul Anley and Dr Jenny Leslie in 2014. Paul previously founded Pharma Dynamics, a leading generics pharmaceutical company in South Africa and exited the business in 2016.
Jenny holds a PhD in Virology from the University of Glasgow and has many years of experience in the development and commercialisation of recombinant proteins used for antibody detection and the diagnosis of infectious diseases.
Biotech Africa was established with a vision to help the fight against HIV via the manufacture of recombinant proteins used in HIV rapid tests. Their products are exported around the world to manufacturers of HIV rapid tests, one of which is reimported back into South Africa by the DoH.
In response to the current pandemic, they have developed recombinant proteins for Covid-19 serology screening: SARS-CoV-2 Nucleocapsid protein and Spike (Receptor Binding Domain) glycoprotein.
These are currently being exported for the manufacture of Covid-19 antibody screening tests in S. Korea, China and Europe and are being used for the development of COVID-19 serology tests by South African manufacturers.